If my water has been terminated for non-payment, what do I need to do to have service restored?

You will need to call our Customer Service Department at (215) 675-3301 ext. 203 to speak to a Customer Service Associate.  The representative will advise you of the amount due, including any penalty or posting fees.  Once payment is received, your service will be restored.  There is a service restoration fee of $40.00 if water is turned on by 3:30 p.m.  After 3:30 p.m., an after hours fee of $175.00 will be assessed to your account.