The Federal Clean Water Act requires towns to take steps necessary to reduce stormwater runoff. Towns are required to do the following:
- Conduct outreach and education about stormwater runoff.
- Provide opportunities for residents to participate in conversations and activites related to reducing polluted stormwater runoff.
- Detect illicit discharges.
- Control construction site runoff.
- Control post-construction site runoff.
- Perform municipal housekeeping to take steps to prevent runoff from town buildings and activities.